[bksvol-discuss] Re: Full Inclusion: Image Description Protocols in 360 Degree Review

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 13:51:52 -0600

Hi Lori,

I think I have a specific real live example for you. It isn't like sidebars. Sidebars, like you said, can just be repeats of what's already in the text. But what I called "parsley pictures" don't even do that. I looked through an American literature textbook yesterday that's to have relevant images described. The page opposite the table of contents page and every page opposite the start of every chapter each had a full page image of a famous oil painting. The paintings had absolutely no connection to the material being presented--none. They were all lovely images, but they didn't relate one bit to anything the book contained, nor was any information or explanation about the paintings themselves given in the book. The images simply acted as a design element to the student to reinforce that they were at the start of a new chapter, and to give them something pretty that drew the eye.

Does that help?

Judy s.

Judy, thank you for this explanation, but could someone give me a real live example? I suppose that the comparison would be like "sidebars" that appear in books that use a phrase already given in the body of the text. But what sort of image would be employed in a book? Lori