[bksvol-discuss] Frustration over missed opportunities for perfection.

  • From: "Lynn I" <lynnskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bkshare discussion" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:25:14 -0500

When I first signed up to be a Bookshare volunteer I was so excited because
reading has been a passion for me ever since childhood.  I often scan books for
my own reading enjoyment...  I welcomed the opportunity to share them with
others, and still do.  However, being on this discussion list has made me
extremely apprehensive about submitting books; and if it were not for Susan's
assistance and willingness to work with me, Buffalo Valley would likely still
be on the step one page.

As a volunteer, I want to submit the best quality scans possible, and I strive
to do so even with regard to my own scanning and reading pleasure.  However, I
think this, like most anything can be carried to an unrealistic extreme.

If the objective is to make available print books to be enjoyed by people who
are visually impaired, I will do all I can to scan and submit more books.
However, if the objective is to submit only "perfect" books and endure critical
references to staff and volunteers which has been occurring with ever
increasing frequency as of late; personally, I want no part of the process, if
that continues.

I realize that others may not share my opinion, and I respect that decision,
but I often feel that there are those who are simply waiting for an opportunity
to criticize.

Lynn