[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fractions in bookshare files for Braille readers

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:29:50 -0700

Hi Folks,

Fractions, and thus cookbooks, are infamously problematic technical issues
around Bookshare. I wonder how many print disabled chef's dinner parties we
have ruined by just a fraction of this or that ingredient being off?

The ideal is that someday we will build a converter to render fractions for
print to digital smoothly and accurately. The bottleneck is that the DAISY
Consortium continues to delay making a decision on what the international
standard will be. Until then an automated solution cannot be built.

In the meantime the best solution is to tailor your practice to the advice
being given in this thread by those who use Braille.

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department