[bksvol-discuss] Re: Found the Copyright holder on the Simak book - after some convoluted sleuthing!

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 00:25:20 -0400

Dear Judy

From an SF fan and cautious validator, Terrific work and fascinating summary of your findings!

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message -----

From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 3:01 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Found the Copyright holder on the Simak book - after some convoluted sleuthing!

I got up this morning and decided to do some additional hunting for the copyright info on this book because it was really bugging me. Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to help, btw - you are all great!

It's sort of a story in itself of the evolution of the science fiction publishing industry.

The edition is published by DAW books, so I called the "rights and permissions department" at DAW books and talked with them. As I didn't want to get into anything regarding "fair use" etc., I just told them that I needed the copyright information so I could correctly cite the book on a project I was doing. Smile.

That led to a fascinating internal goose-chase, as DAW themselves didn't have the copyright information on their databases, nor was it anywhere in the Library of Congress, although 78 other books by this author are listed. Their very sweet and helpful contact, Josh, found that very odd.

So Josh said he would call me back and went tromping into the physical archive where DAW has actual copies of all the books they've ever published, and got the exact edition of this book.

To his surprise, the copyright holder is listed as "UPD" (all in capital letters U-P-D), and neither of us knew who or what that was. Josh said that DAW books at that period of time (1983) usually purchased the paperback rights to a hardback book, but he'd never seen one they'd published from that era at DAW that wasn't in the author's name.

Being curious about who or what UPG is, I did some additional digging, and discovered that UPG was "Ultimate Publishing Company," (abbreviated UPD and I have no idea what the D stands for), which was founded in 1965 by one of the pioneers of the SF publishing industry, Sol Cohen. Cohen started the company in order to purchase from Ziff Davis, and then publish, two of the best known pioneering sci-fi magazines, "Amazing Stories" and "Fantastic." UPD has been bought and merged with other companies over the years, and is no longer known by that name - I'm not even sure if it exists at all as an entity any more.

I'm guessing - just guessing - that this book originally appeared in a serialized version in one of those two magazines, or as a shorter story version, as was common at that time. That would explain how UPD came to be the copyright holder.

Whew!  At least now I really know who owns the copyright!

Judy s.