From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Estelnalissi
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:05 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] For Tolkien fans, especially Amy this time around

Dear Amy,

Sam is one fine role model, and since these e mails aren't restricted by
"Homeland Security," you won't be turned in to a toad nor anything unnatural

for chiming in.

The Tolkien Project is an effort by some of us to scan, validate and have
the entire 12 volume set of The History of Middle-earth approved and added
to the Bookshare collection! Tah Dah! Bookshare has volume 1, but it needs a

rescan.

Two other volunteers, so far, are scanning, and I'm validating. That's the
main reason I bit the bullet and began practicing fixing accented letters.
I'm not a fast worker, but a diligent one. I read the book for the joy of it

while I validate, and love Elvish enough to enjoy making sure the names come

out all right. For example, in the current bookshare version of Book of Lost

Tales, Volume One, Iluvatar's name is never spelled right, and appears in
many contortions like lllvator, 1uwetar and HHatu. . Actually none of the
accented words are spelled right. An o with an accent acute is often scanned

as a 6, and if a word is in italics, it really comes out as hash.

There's no time crunch here. Also, I'm buying hardcover editions of the
History for my collection and will buy a copy for anyone who is willing to
scan a volume they don't need to return to me. I have volumes 1, 2, 3, and
10, so far. I don't know how to scan, so I'm validating, but will share that

out if anyone is willing to go at it meticulously. The only volume I
desperately want to validate is Volume 9.

Have you searched the Bookshare collection just by Typing in Tolkien.
Bookshare has a nice selection of books by or about him. Carrie scanned 3
books about LOTR which I've validated and are in the collection though not
all can be found by searching Tolkien. I have several more sets of duplicate

sets of books about LOTR. I'll send her one copy to chop and scan and I have

the duplicate in case I need it to validate. I won't send her any of them
until I've finished validating the last 3 books I mailed her to scan.

There are already 2 or 3 Tolkien Biographies in the collection, but I mailed

a copy of the Humphrey Carpenter Biography to a volunteer who was eager to
scan it. I'm looking forward to validating that one since Carpenter was a
contemporary of Tolkien and a colleague.

Amy, or anyone interested in pitching in, or talking Tolkien, please contact

me off list at

airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Of Course I like Cannon best, but also love the movies, fanfiction and
dramatizations like the one Ian Holmes played Frodo in for the BBC
production.

In Shirish Fellowship

and

Always with love,