[bksvol-discuss] Re: For Nimer: Re Openbook Scanning

  • From: Nimer <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:48:30 -0700

I had the confidence level set at 95 but changed it to 100. I will try 98.6 and see what that does. I am using normal, and not draft. I am scanning using grayscale. I have speckling disabled, and I started with a resolution of 300, but have considered going up to 600.

Thanks
Nimer J

Nimer M. Jaber

it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review,
reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender via reply
e-mail, and delete the
material from any computer.

Website:
http://www.empowertheblind.org
Phone:
(720) (251-4530)

Monica Willyard wrote:
Lol. I'm glad someone else gets turned around with programs from school and
home. I thought I was the only one. Since you're using Kurzweil, you have a
lot of flexibility in how it scans various types of documents. How much
experience do you have with scanning in general? When someone is having
trouble with scanning a book, I don't know whether to start with the basics
or if a person is experienced but needs to troubleshoot a specific book. So
please stop me if this isn't helping.
Have you tried using grayscale as the thresholding option? Sometimes it will
work when other options won't. One setting that made a big difference for me
is changing the confidence threshold from the Kurzweil default of 95 to
98.6. This setting is under general in the Kurzweil settings area. This
makes Kurzweil work harder during optimization to get a clear scan. 95
percent accuracy for a book is too low, and this tells Kurzweil that it's
got to do a better job with each page. As a last resort, changing the print
quality from normal to draft can work with older books where the print is
somewhat faded.
Monica Willyard

-----Original Message----- From: Nimer
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: For Nimer: Re Openbook Scanning

I'm sorry, did I say openbook? I use openbook at school for documents and such. I actually use kurzweil at home for scanning books. Sorry about the confusion, but I'm sure that these settings will still apply.

Thanks
Nimer J

Nimer M. Jaber

which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review,
reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender via
reply e-mail, and delete the
material from any computer.

Website:
http://www.empowertheblind.org
Phone:
(720) (251-4530)

Monica Willyard wrote:
Hi, Nimer. You're asking a question I love to see on the list because it
means someone is learning something new. What version of Openbook are you
using? That will help us answer your questions better. I'll share my
experiences with you, and there are others who use Openbook daily who
might
lend a hand too. I was an Openbook user for over 15 years before switching
to Kurzweil last year. So my experience is with version 7 and earlier. I
think much of what I'm about to write can be used in Openbook 8 as well.
One
thing I can tell you that will help you get better scans in general is to
turn off the despeckle setting that Openbook has turned on by default when
you install it. Especially if you are using a paperback book, despeckle
seems to cause more problems than it solves. It also helps to turn off an
option that says white on black scanning. This setting is good for
newspapers and such, but it's bad for most books and should be turned off
by
default. When I used Openbook, I set it for auto-contrast and turned off
the
language analyst too. I saved these settings as the default settings so I
wouldn't need to adjust them every time I ran Openbook. I consistently got
the best scans from these settings, though I did have to adjust the
contrast
on certain books if the auto feature didn't work the way I wanted. I hope
this will help you with your scan. If I haven't explained it well, please
ask for a better explanation. I'm looking forward to seeing your book in
the
collection soon. (smile)

Monica Willyard