[bksvol-discuss] For Nimer: Re Openbook Scanning

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:38:49 -0500

Hi, Nimer. You're asking a question I love to see on the list because it
means someone is learning something new. What version of Openbook are you
using? That will help us answer your questions better. I'll share my
experiences with you, and there are others who use Openbook daily who might
lend a hand too. I was an Openbook user for over 15 years before switching
to Kurzweil last year. So my experience is with version 7 and earlier. I
think much of what I'm about to write can be used in Openbook 8 as well. One
thing I can tell you that will help you get better scans in general is to
turn off the despeckle setting that Openbook has turned on by default when
you install it. Especially if you are using a paperback book, despeckle
seems to cause more problems than it solves. It also helps to turn off an
option that says white on black scanning. This setting is good for
newspapers and such, but it's bad for most books and should be turned off by
default. When I used Openbook, I set it for auto-contrast and turned off the
language analyst too. I saved these settings as the default settings so I
wouldn't need to adjust them every time I ran Openbook. I consistently got
the best scans from these settings, though I did have to adjust the contrast
on certain books if the auto feature didn't work the way I wanted. I hope
this will help you with your scan. If I haven't explained it well, please
ask for a better explanation. I'm looking forward to seeing your book in the
collection soon. (smile)

Monica Willyard