[bksvol-discuss] Re: For Gwen and Robert

  • From: "robert tweedy" <roberttweedy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:39:18 -0600

Okay, thanks. Maybe hit the wrong link.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 8:16 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: For Gwen and Robert

Hi Robert,

The book, "A Dream To Follow" is out for proofreading right now.

Mayrie

From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] For Gwen and Robert
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 1:26 PM

Gwen, you're right. Robert
is an experienced and
valuable member of our community. Robert, how many books do you have
that are waiting to be approved? Are they on step 1 or in the admin
queue?

Gwen, there are several factors
in play regarding
Robert's books. I don't know if you're aware of all of these, so I
thought I'd share them. Some of them can probably be addressed by
people on this list.
Others can't.

On the staff side, Carrie was
on vacation for a week
before Thanksgiving. Also, most of the staff had some time off last
week for the holiday. I have found that she generally approves books
from volunteers within
24 to 48 hours of their entry into the admin queue. Carrie used to be
a volunteer just like us, and she remembers the frustration of
waiting and waiting for a book to be approved. She has worked with
Robert as a fellow volunteer as well and knows of his skills and
flexible attitude.

From here, it looks like the
bottleneck right now is in
getting books proofread. The number of books on step 1 is piling up
again. Our number of active volunteers and their preferences for
reading determine how fast a book is processed. This factor affects
everyone who submits books. For awhile everyone was worried about not
having any books to work on.
Some people quit
looking for new books on step 1 because of all of the books with
holds on them.
Now there are a lot of excellent books needing a proofreader.

The other factor, on a more
personal level, is hard for
me to explain. Robert is a consistent and dedicated volunteer. I
respect him for his dedication and teamwork. Yet I am hesitant to
take his books for a personal reason. In the past, Robert has been
willing to scan some adult-rated content for Bookshare. It's my
perception that much of what he scans would be classified as steamy
romances. I prefer not to read the steamier books. This isn't about
Robert or his skills as a submitter. It's about me and what I want to
read. I generally don't like to draw attention to this issue since I
think it's a personal one on my part. Since I feel uncomfortable
asking Robert which books are adult, I let others take his books when
he submits. I figured it would make him angry if I asked about it. If
I am wrong about what Robert submits, I apologize and take full
responsibility for not checking out my assumptions with him.

think what I'm saying is that we might do a better job of
communicating with each other. I know I need to do that. I didn't
know that Robert's books weren't getting added to the collection. I
also assumed that most people are more comfortable with adult content
than I am and that those would be done quickly. I could be wrong on
both counts.

The last thing I want is for you or Robert to feel ignored or
unappreciated. I don't have an immediate solution. I think we could
find ways to work this out together, with the help of the Bookshare
community. It would help us fix the problem if we know exactly what's
going on, if the books are on step 1, or are they getting lost in the
admin queue.

Monica
Willyard
"The best way to
predict the future is to create it." -- Peter Drucker

At 10:32 AM 11/30/2009, you wrote:

I think a timely
  manner is the key.
And those who have scanned for years and their books are
  good, and everyone knows they are good, to me there
shouldn't be a
  delay.
Some books get up there right away, so what is the
difference
  in books?
 Especially those of like  Robert's when his
books have
  been tried and true for a long time.
 Eventually
  volunteers  are gonna quit submitting books, because
they aren't getting
  anywhere. Some books stay up there for a long time.
It's grand
  for   kids books grand for grants, but I think
they are forgetting
  the  submitters  especially those hard working
ones like Bob who
  turns in a quality scan each and every time not like his
wife who turns no
  quality scans LOL.
I understand me, but Bob that is different.
His
  should go right away.
Gwen

      From: Denise Thompson