[bksvol-discuss] Re: Finding Books To Scan for Bookshare

  • From: "Linda Adams" <ladams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:42:36 -0600

Hi, Monica. Brian was mellow last night, so he must be learning not to make blanket generalizations of groups of people. Not all blind people were "put" in medical transcription. I got my bachelor's degree before I decided to do medical transcription, and although it is more taxing as I grow older, that seems to be the area in which I still find work since rehab now has taken the position that they will train blind people in something new only after they have gotten a job in that area. It also is not true that blind people cannot be fast in real time if they have been trained as court reporters and have a computer-compatible stenographic machine specifically designed for this job. No blind person could do this spontaneously, but with training, it can be done well. I started to pursue this avenue but decided that I didn't want the pressure of transcribing while events were taking place. Brian is bright, and if he proceeds with tact from now on, as he did last night, he should be a wonderful benefactor to Bookshare with his knowledge.

Linda Adams

----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>