[bksvol-discuss] File Format Clarification

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:35:33 -0700

Hi all,

There seemed to be some uncertainty on list about what file formats
Bookshare will accept.  We haven't changed our format policy recently.  Our
preferred format is always RTF books, but we will also take KES, DOC, and
OpenBook format.  If you can convert a file to rTF before submission we'd
appreciate it, but it's not necessary.  The advantage of RTF uploads is that
all validaters can access them, while other formats like KES and DOC require
specific programs to open.  Also, keep in mind that after a book has been
validated it MUST be in RTF format.  We take submissions in other formats,
but not completed validations.

Hope this helped answer some questions.

Best,

Allison Hilliker:
Benetech (Bookshare.org).
E-mail allisonh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.bookshare.org

The Benetech Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity - A Nonprofit
Organization