[bksvol-discuss] Re: Feeling like scanning, but don't know what to scan?

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:16:18 -0500

Hi Patty, I have scanned a lot of kids books which have a lot of pictures.
Actually a lot of nonfiction books do to.  smile.  I am right now removing
the junk left from "examples" from a book on all things about OCR.  smile.

I would say go ahead and scan it.  I have found that settings like grayscale
and 300 dpi or 400 dpi will usually net the best results with pictures.
Also, I keep column recognition on, it has gotten me in a fix once or twice,
but for the most part this helps keep books straight and the text organized
the way the author wanted it.  If the text is outside the pictures the above
things will net you nice clean blocks of text and hopefully not a ton of
junk.  Just remove the junk characters the !^&*(&$#%^ and so on as these are
not required, and then submit.

And smile.  We allow for errors, smile, even if the seventy five messages
today says otherwise, Excellent says "very few errors" not No errors.
 Patty take the plunge, and if you want some help with critiquing quality
let me know.

Smile, am looking forward to a distraction from studying norm and criterion
referenced exams, why high stakes testing is "important to the welfare" of
the nation and so on and so forth, sigh.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com