[bksvol-discuss] FW: Re: who do you think you are

  • From: "Claire O'Brien" <ClaireO@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:39:41 -0700

Here are the guidelines concerning Headers and Footers from the volunteer
manual.
claire

3.3.6 Feel Free To Clean Up Running Headers And Footers

When a book is uploaded after validation, the Book Is processed by a tool which
attempts to do four things:

   1. Identify recurring text at the top and bottom of each page known as
"running headers and footers"
   2. Identify page numbers in the running headers and footers
   3. Remove text from running headers and footers
   4. Process the page numbers to allow easier navigation of DAISY books and
include original page numbers in BRF books

Volunteers can assist this tool by insuring that headers and footers are
consistent throughout the book.

    * Capitalization should be used consistently throughout headers and footers
    * Tabs and spaces should be used consistently throughout headers and footers
    * Page numbers and text in each header or footer should be on the same line
    * Page numbers should be separated from text in a header or footer by a
space or tab

Note that the text will be removed by the tool if it is consistent, so the
easiest way to insure that the tool can identify page numbers is to remove the
text from running headers and footers. This is not only much easier for
volunteers, but makes the tool's job simpler as well.

If you wish to clean up headers and footers, please do the following for each
page containing a header or footer:

    * Make sure that if a page contains a header that the header is the first
line of text on the page.
    * Make sure that if a page contains a footer that the footer is the last
line of text on the page.

Note that lines containing punctuation marks or symbols, such as hyphens and
asterisks, are considered lines of text.

The following will also help prevent issues with page numbers in HTML files
when creating an HTML file using the Bookshare.org Unpack Tool:

    * Make sure there is a blank line before headers
    * Make sure there is a blank line after footers