[bksvol-discuss] Re: Expectations

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:56:03 -0400

I notice that a book on step 1 got sent back there because, among other things, the font size needs to be enlarged.

Perhaps the newer tools engineering comes up with will be able to change font size.

Seems like the kind of thing a automated tool may be able to do in the future rather than leaving it to volunteers.

Changing smart quotes to normal quotes might fall into the same category.

Thank you for the below message. You say what I expressed better than I have.

E.

At 08:28 AM 5/30/2008, you wrote:
My paying job is as a programmer for a large hospital.  When one of our
programs is not working as expected, we take steps to fix it.  We don't
invent more and more complicated work-arounds for the ordinary users to
follow manually.
Bookshare seems to have the opposite idea.  Why pay an engineer to fix
something, when you can add yet another thing for a volunteer to look for?
 This seems bass-ackwards to me.
I agree with Elizabeth--with the smart quotes thing, we go from trying to
get around the stripper, to besides having to get around the Daisy
converter.  What next?  Can't something be done programmatically to make
these so-called tools work better?

Further, things are just too hodge-podge.  I, a volunteer with many things
to do, am supposed to read the manual, check Jake's site for tips, read
this gigantic email list, and what else?  I don't think so.  And it's much
worse for the "process" supposed to prevent duplicate submissions.  There
must be 4 or 5 places to check for that.  Please!!

There are plenty of volunteers who are not on this list.  I don't blame
them; it takes a lot of time, and I don't read every message, either.
It seems much more logical to me to set things up so that they work well
for the average person doing the average job, rather than expecting
everyone to know about every little thing, and to spend hours looking for
and fixing niggly little things.  Some people will, and plenty more won't.
So make the tools work for the most people, not just the compulsive ones.
Tracy

http://www.eset.com