[bksvol-discuss] Re: English quotes

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 15:49:03 -0400

Try to keep sidebars on the same page if possible, but do place them in a position such that they do not break the flow of the text, like at the end of a paragraph or a section if the end of a section is handy and not pages later.

On 5/9/2012 3:45 PM, Ixchel, Jackie wrote:
Hi,
Are we supposed to move sidebars and tables to the end of sentenses if
they are interupted?
thanks,
Jackie

On 5/9/12, Roger Loran Bailey<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
Leave the British quotation marks as they are. Just designate the
language as British English when you submit the book.

On 5/9/2012 7:50 AM, Tracy Carcione wrote:
For books published in the UK, the quotation mark system is different
from
that used in the US.
Someone said to me yesterday that they thought that we are supposed to
change all those English quotes to the American system.  I sure hope the
person I was talking to is just confused.
I so totally disagree with that idea.  I see my job as a proofreader or
submitter as keeping the book as close as possible to the original.  I
will move a few words around, if a footnote or sidebar interrupts a
sentence, but otherwise, it should stay as is.  I even leave in
misspelled
words, if I can determine they're misspelled in the original, though it
bugs me to do it.
Changing all the quotes from one system to another is a change from the
way the book was published, which adds nothing to its comprehensibility,
and is a massive waste of a volunteer's valuable time.  If someone has
decided that's how it should be done, then that decision should be
revisited.
As you can tell, I feel pretty passionate about this.
Tracy