[bksvol-discuss] Re: English quotes

  • From: Ali Al-hajamy <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 07:57:04 -0400

I highly doubt you'll need to do that. In the list of languages from which to choose when going through search results, doing an advanced search, ETC, there is an option called "English UK", and I assume books written in UK English are expected to have the exact content of the book just like US English, including any rules of punctuation and quotation. You're right, though; if a decision has been made that UK quotes in books produced in the UK and written in UK English must be changed to conform to the American system, that needs to be reconsidered.

On 09-May-12 07:50, Tracy Carcione wrote:
For books published in the UK, the quotation mark system is different from
that used in the US.
Someone said to me yesterday that they thought that we are supposed to
change all those English quotes to the American system.  I sure hope the
person I was talking to is just confused.
I so totally disagree with that idea.  I see my job as a proofreader or
submitter as keeping the book as close as possible to the original.  I
will move a few words around, if a footnote or sidebar interrupts a
sentence, but otherwise, it should stay as is.  I even leave in misspelled
words, if I can determine they're misspelled in the original, though it
bugs me to do it.
Changing all the quotes from one system to another is a change from the
way the book was published, which adds nothing to its comprehensibility,
and is a massive waste of a volunteer's valuable time.  If someone has
decided that's how it should be done, then that decision should be
revisited.
As you can tell, I feel pretty passionate about this.
Tracy