[bksvol-discuss] Re: Empire Falls, and a validating practice question

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:16:23 -0600

If you rescan the table you should probably convert it to simple text instead
of leaving it as a table because it is very likely that it will not come out
correctly in the final bookshare files.  I unfortunately don't have a good
suggestion for what to do to make a table work, since tabs and multiple spaces
have never appeared in anything I have examined.  I heard that tables would be
functional at some point, but I haven't heard that the fix was implemented yet.

As for the extra pages in the book.  I wonder if the validator put the book in
Word to validate and had it add page breaks because it thought some of the
pages were too long.  Losing blank pages was common with Kurzweil in the past,
but adding is a little more strange.  I do find it very annoying when they get
messed up, but I don't think it is the bookshare system that is doing it.  I am
certain it is usually caused by the validator.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity