[bksvol-discuss] Re: Efficient Way To Treat/Include Footnote References

  • From: "Ixchel, Jackie" <starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:23:45 -0400

Hi,
I am in full agreement with you but maybe just putting the brackets
would be fine. I'm not sure, sometimes they look the same as
parenthesis.
Jackie

On 3/20/12, Kathy Hester <kathyruthh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All the Begin and End footnote references I've seen occur before the notes
> at the end of the page and after they all conclude--not after each one.
> That little addition is nice for all of us who don't use hard copy or a
> Braille note device--who read with their computer, for instance.  However,
> if it is really that much trouble to do, it only takes a couple of seconds
> to realize what's going on and get back into the main text.

>>> that. Is it really that hard for people to tell when one of those begins
>>> and
>>> ends? They are usually preceded by an asterisk, or two asterisks if it is
>>> the second of two, or a number, as in the book I'm just finishing
>>> scanning,
>>> which has a lot of them. More often than not, they interrupt a sentence,
>>> which should also be a clue. Also, since they are usually at the bottom
>>> of
>>> the page, it shouldn't be very difficult to tell when a footnote is over,
>>> since there is nothing after it on the page.
>>

>> <smiling>  This reasoning only works if you are dealing with hard copy
>> pages.  In an electronic file, viewed, for example on a BrailleNote, the
>> physical end of a page may be indicated by a symbol in the text, but is
>> not as obvious as it is on a hard copy page.  I remember that in hard copy
>>
>> Braille, there is usually a line of dashes across the page to indicate
>> that a footnote is present.  Having a [begin footnote] and [end footnote]
>> makes sense in the context of electronic files, IMO.
>>
>> Ann P.
>>
>>> Evan

Currently Reading: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan and Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins