[bksvol-discuss] Efficient Way To Treat/Include Footnote References

  • From: Kane Brolin <kbrolin65@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kurzweil 1000 Discussion List <k1000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:23:36 -0400

Hello.  I'm attempting to finish scanning my first-ever Bookshare
contribution: a nonfiction biographical work that includes a lot of
citations.  These citations exist primarily in the form of endnotes;
but of course the numbering of these endnotes is visible throughout
each page.  I'm trying to figure out an efficient way to mark these up
in Kurzweil 1000 so I don't have to spend endless time reading the
entire book on my PC, placing each number citation in the right syntax
manually.

When I looked through the Bookshare Volunteers' manual, I found the
following reference on such citations:
https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/4.8+C.+Footnotes%2C+Superscripts+and+Subscripts%2C+and+Sidebars.
 It says that square brackets should go around each of these citation
numbers within the body of the text.  It also says, though, that OCR
software has a "global drop" feature that can be invoked to cause all
superscripted text to be lowered visually to the same height as the
body of the document.  But I don't know how this would work in
Kurzweil 1000, or if there is any efficient way to adjust or
standardize citations of this kind that will permit me to complete
scanning this accurately without taking a whole year to scan this
book.  In some cases, I've counted as many as 20 citations on one
page.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.  I've written this to both the
Kurzweil 1000 discussion list and the Kurzweil Volunteers' discussion
list.

Kind regards,

Kane Brolin