[bksvol-discuss] Re: Earning credits for membership.

  • From: MissWings <misswings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:01:05 -0500

Hi Monica.

You remember right smile. The problem is, I was a member using a different e-mail address and a different password, so I don't know how I'd transfer the record that's on Bookshare over to my current info. It let me log in under my old info last night, so the record is still there. I guess I'd just have to tell John what my old e-mail address and password were to prove that I'm the same person they have on file.

As for validating, I like to read the book to check for any spelling errors or common scanning errors such as putting the number 1 for the letter I, and things like that. For some reason my Word won't spell check either. I think one of the files is missing or something. Someone installed it for me off of a disk, and JFW sometimes has a problem of quitting in a file and making me restart the speech. I get around it though and I only have a couple of chapters left to go with the book I'm working on, so hopefully I'll get it uploaded soon and hope I can do it right.

MissWings

At 02:05 AM 10/26/2006, Monica Willyard wrote:

Hi, MissWings. I think I remember that you used to be a Bookshare member and let your membership expire. If that's right, I think Bookshare may already have a record of your proof of disability on file. I'm not a staff member, and John Glass would know for sure. I do know that we don't have to get proof of our disability each time we renew our membership. Since Bookshare has you signed up as a volunteer, your credits will be applied as you work so that you can earn all or part of your membership. As for earning credits, you earn 50 cents for each book you validate, and you earn 2 dollars and 50 cents for books you scan and submit to Bookshare. So to earn credit for a full year's membership from validating, you will need to validate 100 books. When I first heard this, I thought that number was impossible to manage. What I found is that some books can be validated in half an hour or less if the submitter has taken care of the book and has already done a spellcheck on it. Other books do take longer to process, and it helps when you work on books you'd want to read anyway. I found that the first couple of validations go more slowly because of the learning curve. After that, things get easier as time goes by, and that lets me earn credits without stressing out and losing my mind. (smile) Hope this helps.

Monica Willyard

At Wednesday 10/25/2006 09:47 PM, you wrote:
Hi all.

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway since you can't learn anything unless you ask.

How does one go about letting the staff know that they want to earn credits from Bookshare towards membership? I'm a user of NLS, so I can get them in touch with my librarian if that's how it works. Also, does anyone know how many books you need to validate to earn enough credits? I'm just asking out of curiosity and don't mind doing the work. I was just wondering. Thanks all.

MissWings

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.408 / Virus Database: 268.13.11/497 - Release Date: 10/25/2006