[bksvol-discuss] Re: EMT's

I'd have to agree with Sue on this one. Though I believe a blind person has the brain power and social skills, there are some things that do require sight. Heart patients like me turn blue when we're in trouble, and the IMT would need to see my coloring to know what's wrong. A blind EMT can't read my medical bracelet that says I'm diabetic and allergic to medications, and it's not about pinicillin like most people. Reading instruments is mostly a visual thing, and the person may not know the layout of their surroundings quickly enough to be effective. I wouldn't want a blind IMT or paramedic in charge of my case if I was in a life or death situation. However, I think a blind person could make an excellent nurse, massage therapist, chiropractor, or even a doctor in certain specialties.

Monica Willyard