[bksvol-discuss] Re: Duplicating NLS Titles

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 07:58:27 -0400

Hi all,

I just have to say here that Monica is right in three out of the four reasons she gives for duplicating NLS titles. As for the digitization of the cassette books, they *claim* that it depends on the condition of the master copies. Frankly, I wish they'd taken a good deal better care of those master copies than they did. However, they are digitizing many cassettes, and they have also begun funneling titles recorded by commercial houses into their collection. things are gradually improving, I think. I don't know about the mismanagement of NLS funds, and that's probably not a good discussion for this list. I will say, though, that owners of the Victor Reader Stream have the opportunity to join the NLS beta test of their downloadable audio books.

If anyone wants info on this, let me know. I'll be happy to send the info along.

As for duplication in the bookshare collection, I think we should add as many books as we can. If there are duplicates, fine, but let's keep adding books, the more the merrier.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring