[bksvol-discuss] Does anyone want to proofread this?

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:03:42 -0800

Hi Everyone,

        I have a book here that I just know I'll never read myself.  I'd
like to pass it along once I've scanned it, and clear a tiny bit of space
for more books in my house.

        I'll paste the back cover, and the page of raves below.  If anyone
would like to proofread this book, I'll do the clean-up on it, but don't
want to read it.  If you're interested in proofreading, please contact me,
and I'll start scanning.  My e-mail address is:

mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx

See below my signature for the book cover and raves, as well as author and
ISBN.

Mayrie

[From The Back Cover]

"Fast-moving, fresh, and very, very funny."
--Richmond Times-Dispatch
"Almost letter-perfect. . . Like Geek Love by Katherine Dunn or John Kennedy
Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, Mr. Welter's third book is one of those
don't-ask, just-read-it novels ... a riotous satire of American pop culture,
a bittersweet ditty about our wacked-out postmodern world."
--Dallas Morning News
"I want to buy a vowel,' Alfredo Santayana said to the first American he
met, a pleasant-looking old white woman standing outside of a convenience
store in Waxahachie, Texas. It was one of the very few English expressions
Alfredo had memorized, one that might be followed by a wondrous gift..."
Aside from phrases like "I want to buy a vowel," Alfredo's English is very
limited. But with his new job at a restaurant, this Guatemalan immigrant is
learning to speak Chinese. And when rumors of satanic activity spark
hysteria in town--and the innocent Alfredo finds himself being threatened
with deportation--he also begins to learn that his rich and glittering
adopted country has a dark side, too. Written by the celebrated author
described by The Seattle Times as "a-guy who is wildly imaginative or
strange or both," I Want to Buy a Vowel is both a touching novel of the
immigrant experience--and a satire that hits the jackpot.
"Wonderfully entertaining."
--Orlando Sentinel
"[A] gentle and unusually thoughtful comedy."
--Booklist
"Feels a lot like a Frank Capra movie . . . beguilingly intelligent."
--The Boston Book Review

I WANT TO BUY A VOWEL
a    novel   of illegal   alienation

By John Welter
ISBN: 0-425-16081-5"Fast-paced and funny."
--Library Journal

"Bares the comic underbelly and social injustices of smalltown life."
--U.S. News & World Report

"A very funny writer who also manages to make a point with his outrageous
humor . . . His characters are well-drawn and believable . . . He can easily
share the shelves with any of today's best satirists."
--Tulsa World

"A hilarious parable about alienation, God, and growing up."
--Richmond Times-Dispatch

"Humorous and touching ... The tale gets funnier and funnier but is
surprisingly gentle and inoffensive. Instead Welter tells a tale of
concerned and caring human beings willing to use their resources, their
intelligence and their energy to do the right thing. He gets his message
across in hilarious fashion just as Mary Poppins taught us that a spoonful
of sugar helps the medicine go down."
--Southern Pines Pilot (NC)

"Like [John] Irving, Welter stuffs his book with gaggles of endearing
eccentrics ... Like [Carl] Hiaasen, Welter displays a wicked sense of humor
. . . I Want to Buy a Vowel gives Welter the chance to make some genial
social criticism and tell a good fast-paced story."
--Orlando Sentinel

"In the long tradition of Gulliver's Travels . . . I Want to Buy a Vowel
finds innocence in an illegal immigrant from Guatemala who believes simple
hard work will bring him the American dream . . . funny."
--San Antonio Express-News

"Often hilarious, sometimes poignant, always highly entertaining."
--Chattanooga Free Press

"Entertaining . . . offbeat . . . sprinkled with wry, comic moments and a
steadfast awareness of social injustice."
--Publishers Weekly

"A delight. . . thought-provoking."
--Oak Ridger (TN)

"Gentle and downright charming . . . you'll laugh out loud."
--American Way