[bksvol-discuss] Re: Does anyone know...

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:19:37 -0700

This is one of Word's auto formatting tricks. I've pretty much turned off all the autoformatting because most of them interfere with proofing for bookshare. Sadly, there is no all encompassing, turn off auto formatting button. You go under the tools menu, then auto correct options, which gives you a dialog with a bunch of tabs, each of which displays a page of check boxes. You uncheck a box to remove a feature. These are things like change straight quotes to smart quotes, change 1st to 1 with the st superscript, change 1/2 to the single symbol version of 1/2. And one of these just says borders. I'm pretty sure this is the one that turns three asterisks to a line that you can't delete. You can however select the area around the line, go to the format menu, select borders and shading, then in the dialog that comes up, select the box that indicates no borders (sometimes you have to select a border, then select the no border to get this to work, I don't know why). That should eliminate the line.

If there are keyboard equivalents for all this mess they would have to be long and complicated (as my description of how I do it as a sighted person is long and complicated).

Hope this helps someone.

Misha

Valerie Maples wrote:
Hi, Pamela!

What you have is when you type three asterisks and hit enter. You can undo it immediately with CTRL Z, but otherwise you need to copy and paste the page in to a plain text notepad file and then copy above it and paste into the original document and then the bottom, with a blank line between and return to type the three asterisks.

I would love to find a simpler way and am more than open to suggestions if others have better workarounds.

Thanks!
Valerie

On Jun 17, 2010, at 9:05 PM, Pamela Hoffard wrote:

    Does anyone know what this square-dotted line is?  When I put my
    cursor over it, it gives me a double line with an arrow above and
    below the lines?  I'm using Word 2007 to do the proofing.  I
    can't delete it the normal ways and I have all formatting marks
    turned on.

    Has anybody encountered this before??

    This is what it looks like:

    We'll be waiting a long time for that perfect husband, and we'll
    be awfully disappointed during the waiting.

    Here’s the difference:

    ***

    You wish for a relationship

    you dream of a husband

    you long for a perfect man.

    ***

    You wish for some cash

    you dream of more money

    you long for enough money to take away all your problems

    Thanks for any help,

    Pam