[bksvol-discuss] Dark is Rising Sequence

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:17:04 -0800 (PST)

-Dear Lissi,

I can't believe that as a youngster you never read the
Dark is Rising Sequence. Smile. I read the books as my
children did, and loved them--and enjoyed validating
the 5-in-one volume as well, despite the problems it
had.

I'll send you offlist a more detailed summary that I
found online.

But for you and anyone else interested, here are brief
summaries of the books in the sequence.

I just checked the collection. Somehow the titles in
the sequence are in reverse order, and there are no
synopses. I'm quite sure the books are in the right
order, because that's the way I read and valdiated
them. I'll ask Gustavo to change the title sequence,
to add the synopses, and to please check if the books
are in order, and if not if he could please change
them--or put the book back on the download list for me
to fix them.

"The Dark is Rising cycle is composed of five books:
Over Sea, Under Stone, The Dark is Rising, Greenwitch,
The Grey King, and Silver on the Tree. Of the five,
The Dark is Rising was a Newbery Honor Book, and The
Grey King actually won the Newbery Medal, one of the
most prestigious awards in children's literature."

The summaries below are from my library's online
catalog. The paragraph above is from a different site
that discusses Susan Cooper, the author, and the
books.

1. Over Sea, Under Stone:   Three children on vacation
in Cornwall find an ancient manuscript which sends
them on a dangerous quest that entraps them in the
eternal battle between the forces of the Light and the
Dark. They search for a grail that will reveal the
true story of King Arthur.

2. The Dark is Rising:  On his eleventh birthday Will
Stanton discovers that he is the last of the Old Ones,
destined to seek the six magical Signs that will
enable the Old Ones to triumph over the evil forces of
the Dark.

3.  Jane's invitation to witness the making of the
Greenwitch begins a series of sinister events in which
she and her two brothers help the Old Ones recover the
grail stolen by the Dark.

4. The Grey King:  Will Stanton, visiting in Wales, is
swept into a desperate quest to find the golden harp
and to awaken the ancient Sleepers.

5.  In this conclusion of the tale begun in "Over Sea,
Under Stone," Will Stanton, the Welsh boy Bran, and
the Drew children try to locate the crystal sword that
alone can vanquish the strong forces of Dark.