[bksvol-discuss] DAISY

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:45:23 -0400

Cindy,

DAISY, as was explained, stands for Digital Accessible Information Systems.
It is a set of structural specifications that allow marking of texts in very
specific manner so that those individuals who have disabilities such as
blindness and partial site as well as various other print disabilities can
understand the structure of books.  The DAISY specification allows books to
be marked up in such a way in electronic formats that various structural
components as footnotes, charts, tables, side bars, illustrations, indices,
page numbers, headings, and sections can be readily apparent.  Various DAISY
players also allow easy navigation between these components and allow users
to move forward and backward without having to waste time.  There are six
different types of DAISY files; Bookshare uses text-only DAISY files.
Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic (RFB&D) uses audio-only DAISY.

Pratik Patel
Interim Director
Office of Special Services
Queens College