[bksvol-discuss] Re: Currently scanning

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:59:46 -0500

Kim, you hold down the alt key while entering a number on the numberpad, which tells the computer which character you want it to put there. There is a chart with all the codes at http://www.ascii-code.com/ . The number you want are the ones in the first column, just add a 0 in front of them. On my computer I have to press space after entering the number and letting go of the alt key for it to appear. An example would be, for the capital a grave you would hold down the alt key and on your number pad type 0192and let go of the alt key. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you don't understand. I opened a blank Word doc and played around with making the different characters when I was first learning to do this. That way I didn't mess anything up. smile

Melissa Smith

On 4/21/2010 3:51 PM, Kim Friedman wrote:
Hi, Lissi, what I don't know is how one puts accents in particularly when
I'm using the computer keyboard to put this in. In Braille, I'd just use dot
4 and hope for the best, so anything you can email me with regard to Irish
accents and how to place them in the file will be very helpful to me. Much
thanks, Kim.