[bksvol-discuss] Currently scanning

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:45:00 -0400

Hi all,

I am currently scanning "Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that
Shattered the Party" by Max Blumenthal.

I think someone--can't recall who--requested this one but I don't see it on the
wish list. So, if you're out there and you want to proofread it, let me know.

From the jacket:
Award-winning journalist and documentary videographer Max Blumenthal has been
behind some of the most sensational (and funniest) exposes of Republican
excesses. Whether it was his revelation of Sarah Palin's involvement with a
Kenyan pastor who boasted of epic battles with witches, his shocking reports on
rapture-ready fanatic Pastor John Hagee's ties to Senators John McCain and
Joseph Lieberman, or his expose of the eccentric theocratic multimillionaire
behind California's Prop 8 anti-gay-marriage initiative, Blumenthal has become
one of the most important and most constantly cited journalists on how a fringe
movement became the Republican Party mainstream.
Republican Gomorrah—his remarkable, muckraking debut—is a bestiary of
dysfunction, scandal, and crime from the heart of the movement that runs the
Republican Party. Blumenthal describes with no-holds-barred detail the people
and the beliefs that establishment Republicans—like John McCain—have to kowtow
to if they have any hope of running for president, and how moderates have been
systematically purged from party ranks. He shows why the unqualified Sarah
Palin was the party's only logical choice and how her most fanatical supporters
will be setting the strategy for the Republican assault on the Obama
administration. Blumenthal warns that the Christian right will quietly exploit
the widespread financial misery caused by the economic meltdown while
mainstream media pundits churn out faddish and unfounded tales of the
movement's death.
Not only an expose, Republican Gomorrah reveals that many of the movement's
leading figures are united by more than political campaigns; they are bound
together by a shared sensibility rooted in private trauma. Their lives have
been stained by crisis and scandal depression, mental illness, extra-marital
affairs, struggles with homosexual urges, attraction to drugs and pornography,
serial domestic abuse, and even murder. For the most zealous foot soldiers of
the right, the crusade to cleanse  the land of sin was in fact a quest to
purify their souls.

Deborah