[bksvol-discuss] Re: Curious

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:39:54 -0400

Hi all,

Roger, are you trying to tell us that the mispronunciation was "planted" in your brain? You working with beans instead of peas?

<smiling> Excuse the very bad pun, but I couldn't resist. In case anybody wants to know what I'm talking about here, Gregor Mendel was a monk in the 1700s in Germany who spent time growing different colored pea flowers to prove that he could manipulate the color of flowers by mixing the parent strains. He was the first to discover that certain colors of pea flowers are dominant and others are recessive. It was the beginning of genetics. Hence the pun about "planting" notions.

I may have some of the story mixed. It's been a while since high school. I remember reading about the monk in the same breath as the guy who experimented with fruit flies. That guys name escapes me at the moment, but Mendel I remember.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring