[bksvol-discuss] Re: Courtesy

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:39:51 EDT

I don't think it's a question of telling the outsourcers not to do books
that volunteers are doing. The outsourcers just do the books that Bookshare
sends them. The problem is more likely to be on the part of whoever it is at
Bookshare who sends them the books. Or it might just be a question of time
lag. I don't know how much time passes between the time the books are sent to
the outsourcers and their appearance in the collection. Without our knowing
what books they are doing we could be starting books that are already in
that process. Again, I understand that Pavi is working on a way for us to tell
what the outsourcers are doing. When that is in place the problem should be
greatly ameliorated if not solved.

                                                                  "Can a
nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot." Vladimir Lenin

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Courtesy
Date:
8/26/2009 8:22:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

What gets me is I feel for you guys. I'm wondering is Bookshare staff on
the ball about this. It doesn't do to alienate volunteers who are doing their
very
best to insure excellent quality books being added to the collection only
to have their work undercut by others. Isn't Pavi or Carrie advocating for
your
work? Why isn't there some communications to these outsourcers informing
them that they should do something else as other folks, namely you lot, are
scanning
and proofreading the following titles? I really think the volunteers need a
staunch ombudsman or arbitrator to make sure that what you scan and
proofread
isn't swept from out of your hands unless you give it over. I think this is
not only a matter of courtesy but a need for communication and
co-ordination
among all the participants -- Bookshare staff, the volunteers, and the
outsourcers. I really think Staff should not allow resentments to grow making
the
volunteers discouraged or feel undervalued. It's very nice they talk the
talk, but they have to walk the walk, I.e., do some serious actions to make
sure
volunteers know that the staff is for them and not sabotaging them. I may
not understand the history here, and maybe I'm off base, but something must
be
done somehow. Regards, Kim.

----