[bksvol-discuss] Re: Contracted Braille translation

  • From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 07:30:43 -0500

It isn't a matter of what my screen reader says, but rather how the quotes look in Braille. I do not think they are smart quotes though.

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Melissa Smith
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 7:22 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Contracted Braille translation

If your screen reader says open quote or close quote, instead of just
quote, you have smart quotes. I couldn't describe them to you visually,
though.

Melissa Smith

On 4/9/2011 7:13 AM, Cindy Ray wrote:
What are "smart quotes." I have heard of "block quotes", but I'm not sure I am familiar with "smart quotes."

Cindy Lou

On Apr 9, 2011, at 7:10 AM, Melissa Smith wrote:

We are to replace smart quotes with straight quotes. Here is pertain ate section from what Judy typed up for the manual some time ago.

16. Convert smart quotes to standard quotes

To Remove Smart Quotes Using Find And Replace:

In the find box type: ^0147

In the replace box type: ^0034

Replace all.

In the find box type: ^0148

In the replace box type: ^0034

Here is how to keep Word from automatically replacing straight quotes with smart quotes from the manual.
2. Fix smart quotes:

Go to Tools Menu,

Click on "Autocorrect Options"

Click on tab "AutoFormat"

uncheck "Straight quotes with smart quotes".
Also, in the manual are directions for stopping Word from replacing a string of asterisks with boarderlines and double hyphens with m dashes. Of course, this last is no longer really necessary.

Melissa Smith

On 4/9/2011 4:21 AM, Sue Stevens wrote:
Judy,
If I remember correctly, you are the one who can figure out search strings to do things globally, and I really really need help here. I turned on Grade II output Braille so I could check how Jaws 12 handles things in Braille. Well, my opening and closing quotes look like closing quotes in Braille, and this should not be. So I think I need to give Word a cussin’ and then see if there is a global replacement solution. If I delete the opening quote and retype it, it looks like it should in Braille. So am I nitpicking here, or do the opening and closing quotes really look different in print as well? When I type them, I use the same key, apostrophe with the shift. I really hate bringing this up again because I know it has been addressed several times already.
Thanks for any help.
Sue S.

-----
No virus found in this message.