[bksvol-discuss] Re: Contemplating scanning a book.

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:53:59 -0500

Hi, Roger. I have found a couple of my older posts about scanning and
am not sure which one you want. So I'll post the three posts that seem
like they would be most useful to you here. Since this first one is a
little more on the advanced side, you may want to save it for later.
Then again, you're a brave guy and may want to learn how to do this
from the beginning. (smile) It's about using the autocorrection
feature in Openbook to fix common errors as you scan. I'm a big fan of
it since it does the heavy lifting for you and means less clean-up
time later. This isn't used by everyone, so you're getting an opinion
here.

I think this is probably the issue where there is the most
disagreement among frequent submitters. I think both sides of the issue have
merit and hope I will describe how I do things without making anyone else's
way sound wrong. I always use the correction tool. The Kurzweil default
corrections file has been developed to focus on fixing obvious scannos. I
have added some scannos that I see often, making sure I don't correct words
that shouldn't be. For example, I have a correction for the scanno cornpany
to be replaced with company. I scan books from 3 genres, none of which is
science fiction. So the chances are very good that cornpany is not going to
be someone's name. On the other hand, I can't use the corrections file for
the word die to be replaced with the because die is a real word and is often
used correctly in books. So while the tool has the potential to cause
trouble, it can also do a lot of heavy lifting for you if you tend to scan
books within specific genres or by certain publishers. If you work on a wide
range of books or scan a lot of science fiction or fantasy books, you may
want to leave the correction tool turned off because of the made-up words
commonly found in those genres. Evan has told me that he uses
autocorrections on his fantasy books with success though, so I could
be wrong here.

If you are reading this and use Openbook, there are a few corrections you
might want to delete from Openbook's default correction list. This only
applies to Openbook. Remove the tom for torn, glock for clock, modem for
modern, and bum for burn entries because they actually replace legitimate
words. Please also remove the com for corn entry because it makes web
addresses look wierd. You get google.corn instead of google.com .

I usually scan mysteries, business books, and nonfiction. Here is a list of
my favorite corrections that save me time. Openbook users can use
these too. They are not case sensitive.

Tbis for this
Cbapter for chapter
Diere for there
Diemselves for themselves
Dirough for through
Dioroughly for thoroughly
Tuming for turning
Buming for burning
Cornpany for company
Cornmit for commit
Cornfortable for comfortable
Thc for the
Tbe for the
Diink for think
Thcse for these

I hope this is helpful. Please speak up if this seems confusing or if you
think I missed something important.

--
Monica Willyard