[bksvol-discuss] Re: Concerns About A Book On Step 1

Hi, Caitlyn. I was referring to the Chef MD book that Elizabeth
released a couple of days ago. Since she is a seasoned validater, I
trust her when she says that some sighted help is needed in adjusting
the sidebars. So I felt stuck when I first saw that the book was a kes
file because I didn't think I could get help with it. Pavi and Carrie
are making that possible though, and Laura Ann converted the books to
rtf so that any of our volunteers can work on them.

You asked about sidebars. I suspect that we all do things a little
differently but arrive at the same place. When scanning nonfiction, I
scan with columns mode turned on, and that often puts the text of the
sidebar at the bottom of the page for me. If not, I select the text
and cut it to the clipboard. Then I pasted it at the bottom of the
page unless it would break up a sentence. If it would break up a
sentence, I paste the sidebar text above the beginning of the last
paragraph.

I recently learned that Kurzweil has an easier way to select and work
with text. Pressing control m marks the beginning of text, and you can
use normal arrow keys to get to the end of the area you want to
select. Then you can cut or copy text to the clipboard as you like. It
sure does make things faster since you don't have to hold down the
shift key all the time and worry about accidentally
unselecting things. Sharon told me about this feature last week, and I
was like a kid with a new kite to fly. (grin) I hope this helps you a
bit.

--
Monica Willyard