  From: Carrie Karnos
  To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 1:24 PM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Comments on Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

  I've been waiting for this thread to die, but it looks like it's not going
to, so I want to put in my 2 cents and hopefully rearrange everyone's opinion
about it.

  Since the outsourcers are paid, they are held to a higher standard than the
volunteers. There are books by volunteers that I have put into the collection,
that I would have returned for more editing if they had come from the
outsourcers. Books from the outsourcers are usually very high quality, books
from volunteers range all over the place. Some are superb, some are lousy, and
everywhere in between. I return about 1 book in 10 from volunteers, and about 1
book in 30 from the outsourcers.

  The outsourcers are hiring proofreaders all the time, and occasionally they
get someone who isn't up to par. (Yes, the outsourcers have a training program,
but clearly some students don't pay attention in class.) I usually catch the
books that the newby outsourcers produce, but obviously I didn't catch Impulse.
This whole kerfuffle is MY fault, not the outsourcer's. I should have caught
the book, but I didn't. All you need to do, if you find a lousy book from an
outsourcer or indeed anyone else, is to click on the Report Book Quality Issue
link on the book's Book Information Page and file a report about it. You will
be told when the replacement book is in the collection. It's not a big deal. I
try to catch as many books as I can, but occasionally one will slip through. MY
BAD!!!

  Carrie