[bksvol-discuss] Come play Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader tonight!

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:11:38 -0800 (PST)

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

Find out tonight in the Friends of Bookshare Community  room! You
won't win a million dollars, but you will have a good time.

How the game works:

The host asks questions of the contestant or contestants. Each
contestant, before the game, will choose 10 topics. You have to pick
two grades in each subject. The subjects are:
Math
Art, Music and More
Language Arts
Science
Social Studies

The grades are 1 through 5. You need two of each subject and two of
each grade. For example you might choose:
1st grade: Math & Social Studies
2nd grade: Math & Art
3rd grade: Language Arts & Science
4th grade: Language Arts & Science
5th grade: Social Studies & Art

When it is your turn, you tell the host which question you want to
answer, like first grade math. The host will ask you the question.
You will have 60 seconds to answer or cheat. Your cheats are a save,
copy and peek. A save means if you answer the question incorrectly,
the 5th grade helper, if he or she has the right answer, can save you
and you stay in the game. Once you use the save, you cannot use it
again. Copy is if you are unsure of the answer and you just choose to
copy whatever (without knowing what the helper answered) the 5th
grade helper answers. Once you use the copy, you cannot use it again.
A peek means you can peek at the answer the 5th grade helper has, and
then you choose whether or not to use it. Once you use the peek you
cannot use it again.

If you get the answer right, or you are saved, you win that level and
can go on to the next question. There are 10 questions where you can
have helpers, and then a million dollar bonus question at the end.

We will probably play a variation of the TV version, depending upon
how many people want to play.

Here is how it will work:
Depending upon how many people want to play, we will either play as
individuals, as teams, or as one "contestant" and 5 helpers, just
like they do on TV.

If we have only 1, 2 or 3 people who want to play, we'll do it as
individuals. Each individual will be a "contestant". The game I have
has a die with the 5th grade student helpers names on it for when you
want to use a cheat. Whichever name comes up is the 5th grader that
"helps" you. The cards with the questions and answers have a list on
that card with what that helper chose for his or her answer.

So, the host will ask the first person a question. If he or she gets
the correct answer, they will be able to go on to the next level on
their next turn. The host will ask the second person a question, and
then the third person. If you need to use a cheat, the host will roll
the die to see which helper the contestant gets. This is how it works
in the board game.

If we have 4 or more people who want to play, we will organize into
two teams. The team can confer about the answer they want to use
before submitting the final answer. The time limit will still be 60
seconds. The helpers will still be chosen by using the die that comes
with the board game.

If we have 6 people who would like to play, and choose to do so, one
person can be the contestant and five people can be the 5th grade
helpers. The contestant can then choose a helper, just like on the TV
show, who will help for two questions. Each helper can only help for
two questions, and once the contestant is out of cheats, then the
contestant cannot have a helper. No help can be given on the million
dollar question.

Remember we're not giving away a million dollars, but we do want to
have fun! So bring your thinking caps, and leave your google window
closed no cheating outside of your 5th grade helpers!

If you want to play, meet me in the Friends of Bookshare
Community  room at 9 p.m. eastern, 8 p.m. central, 7 p.m. mountain
and 6 p.m. pacific time.

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - When death comes stealing : a Tamara Hayle mystery /
Valerie Wilson Wesley

I'm an eBay affiliate, click here before you bid!
Click here for eBay!