[bksvol-discuss] Re: Children's books' illustrations

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:14:42 -0500

Hi Jamie,
If you enjoy scanning children's books and doing picture descriptions,
that's great! We only have two other sighted volunteers who do this, and one
of them doesn't really enjoy the job but does it out of kindness.

One of Bookshare's major efforts is to provide books for students in
schools. Many books for young children are picture-driven, so that just
having the text isn't enough. This is often true of Caldicott winners. Of
course, blind kids are assigned to read the same books, and also they like
to read the same books as their sighted peers for recreation. So having
these books in the collection with descriptions that makes the content
accessible is a very good thing. I would have appreciated this as an
elementary schooler. By the time Bookshare came along I was in college, but
just for fun I downloaded a book of chel Silverstein poems that I hadn't
read when I was little. It had great picture descriptions in it, so I really
got a kick out of the book.
Kellie