[bksvol-discuss] Re: Chess books

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:06:04 -0500

Some problems that we'll have with the "Chess for Dummies'" book are the
same as all sorts of "Dummies" books in that it will contain epigraphs all
over the place which is very bad for OCR.  Second, I'm willing to bet that
its board diagrams use black and white chess pieces with no indication other
than color which cannot be automatically converted into a textual or even
tactile diagram without a lot of intelligence built into an OCR program
prepared for chess.  Finally, the diagrams will probably need to be
recreated using some sort of notation that makes sense to a user with vision
impairment which would probably require a sighted person to hand
transliterate from the source into the modified format.

A decent hacker could write a program that would make the transliteration
fairly easy but it would, nonetheless, require a fair amount of hands on
effort to build diagrams we can use effectively.

If I find the time (an unlikely event) I plan on opening up AppleScript to
build a bridge between the Macintosh chess game and a refreshable Braille
display (I have a PAC Mate 40 kicking around the house somewhere).
Ostensibly, I can use the VoiceOver screen access utility to pump the dots
out to the display and, although my Braille skills are poor, I can quickly
learn an abbreviated set of items that I can enjoy in a tactile manner.

Maybe I should get the Hadley book just to use their notation system as it
would be a good idea to develop a base standard so readers of different
materials won't need to learn new systems each time they want to read about
the game.

I've wanted an audio tutorial for chess since spring 1999 when, at
Henter-Joyce, an intern built a talking version of the GNU WinBoard game
that used JAWS to handle speech.  Our program was kind of buggy but pretty
usable.  It died on the vine years ago.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Chris Hofstader