[bksvol-discuss] Re: Chapter Headings

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:02:19 -0600

All of Mary's instructions are great. I'd just like to add a couple of things. First, mean times the person who scanned the book, also known as the submitter, will note in the comments whether or not the formatting has been done or not. Let us know if you don't know how to check the submitter's comments, as they are in a somewhat out of the way place. When using WindowEyes to proof, I turn on the attribute changes, so I can hear the font changes as I'm reading through, and don't have to keep checking every time there's something I want to know about. I don't use Jaws, but I would venture to guess that it has a similar function. Font attributes are things like the font size, bold, italicx, underline, etc.

Melissa Smith

On 1/18/2011 12:29 PM, Mayrie ReNae wrote:
HI Reggie,

Now that you've read the book, you need to go back and standardize all of
the font.  Follow the first step and make it all 12-point and in the same
font, any of those suggested in the instructions I sent.  I personally like
Ariel or Times New Roman, but it really doesn't matter.  Which font you
choose is really for the benefit of the sighted proofreader, which you are
not.  As long as it's all the same font, you're good.

Once you've standardized the font size you can fix the title on the title
page and chapter headings.

The short answer to your question is that no, finding out that one chapter
heading is accurate is no guarantee that all others will be the same size
and font, and have the same attributes.  You have to check all of them and
modify what needs modification when necessary.

A font attribute is its size, or style.  Bolding, italics, and normal style,
as well as the size of the font are all attributes.

Once you have located the first chapter heading, assuming it has the word
"chapter" in it, you can use the "find" dialogue to locate the rest of the
chapter headings to check and fix them if they need it.

Do your chapter headings say something like "chapter 1" without quotation
marks around them?

If so, here's how to use the "find" dialogue to locate the chapter headings
quickly.
If not, well, then I need to rethink this process for you. Let's assume that
they do, because I like to be hopeful.

Press control plus h to open the find and replace dialogue.
In the "find" box type the word chapter.
Now hit the enter key.
You are taken to the next occurrence of the word "chapter" in your book.
Hopefully this is a chapter title and not the word chapter in the text of
the story.  If it is a chapter title, you can hit escape to leave the
dialogue and check and fix the font attributes as described in the
instructions that I sent last night.
If the word chapter is not a chapter title, you can press control plus page
down to get to the next occurrence of the word chapter.
After you have fixed a chapter title to be the proper size and bolded,
pressing control plus page down will take you to the next occurrence of the
word chapter where you can check and fix the next chapter title.
When you have encountered all of the instances of the word "chapter" in your
document/book, Word will ask you if you want to start again at the top of
the document.  Simply tab to no, hit enter, and hit escape to make sure
you've left the dialogue.
Now, make sure to save your document so you don't lose your hard work!

There are no dumb questions, so keep asking them if you have them.

Good luck, and happy proofreading!

Mayrie