[bksvol-discuss] Re: Challenged Books

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:31:20 -0400

Jill,

I think it was less the specific word but that Huck decided to use his own judgement to help Jim even if, as he had been taught and believed, it was a sin and he would be damned for it. Huck's humanity and love for a slave overrode his fear of damnation. That is when he decides "All right, I'll go to hell." The people who banned the book in the public schools of some West Virginia Public Schools when I was teaching at WVU had no problem using the "N" word.

We certainly cannot have out children or teachers use their own judgement instead of that of Ministers and lawmakers.

Amy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>