[bksvol-discuss] Re: Cautionary note:

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:26:31 -0700

Hi. I rejected that particular book several months ago. I was only pointing it out as an example. I don't remember the name and I think the submitter was hidden. It seems to me that I was surprised because I thought that series was only in e-book format (I don't remember which series, but it's a part of Star Trek) so was surprised that apparently it was a real book after all. Then I saw the note that it's the first e-book edition and references to a logo so I rejected it.

If I have the ISBN, I make a reasonable effort to try to figure out the correct title, author and copyright information assuming they are not in the title page. If there is no ISBN and title, author, or copyright info is missing, I reject it. One can use google for ISBN searches but I prefer amazon. Just go to:

http://www.amazon.com/access/

Select books from the option list. Paste the ISBN in without spaces or hyphens. Do not include anything but the actual numbers. Most likely amazon will find it. If not, I give up. The Library of Congress catalog is unreliable and not recommended.

At 10:00 PM 4/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:

Tony, by copy of this note, I am requesting gustavo to get in touch with you and identify the obviously illegal submission of a commercial eText to Bookshare. The book needs to be purged from the system asap and the submitter suspended by his/her/its thumbs.

Now for the missing title in a book. If I find an obvious ISBN in a book I am reviewing am able sometimes to find corresponding author and title on the internet. In such case I add them in the mangled titlepage.
Otherwise I nuke the book without mercy. However, in this issue I seek guidance from Gustavo/Marissa, because perhaps I am being far too merciful and should nuke any book with missing author/title in the titlepage even though such information can be reconstructed with some effort.