[bksvol-discuss] Re: Categories

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:47:36 -0400

I know at least one important job that the Bookshare Librarian does, and that is consult on so-called "edge cases," those books that have some issue that makes their addition to the collection less straightforward than it is in most cases.

I have personal experience with one example of this. As you all know, the rule is that all books must have a copyright notice in the book before it can be added to the collection. Well, I scanned a classic SF book, Star Maker, by Olaf Stapledon, originally published in 1937. The edition I scanned was published in 2008 by Dover Publications. There was no copyright notice in the book anywhere. This seemed very odd to me, so I wrote to the Rights and Permissions department at Dover. I explained why I needed to know who owned the copyright to the book, about Bookshare and the rule that every book must have a copyright notice in order to be added to the collection. The helpful person who responded checked it out and replied that Dover did indeed have the copyright to their edition of the book. I sent my correspondence to Carrie, who consulted with the Bookshare Librarian, who said that the book could be added to the collection.

This was back in November of 2009, so I don't know whether it was Amy at that time, but thanks to the Bookshare Librarian, one of my favorite Science Fiction books was able to be added to Bookshare.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Courtney Stover" <liamskitten@xxxxxxxxx>