[bksvol-discuss] Re: Carrie's Scans And Word Weirdness

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:36:20 -0500

I've heard that the tools handle section breaks, but I haven't tested that
out.  I've been replacing them with page breaks-even though that's more time
consuming-simply because what FineReader produces is inconsistent.
Sometimes there's a section break after the page number or chapter heading,
and sometimes there isn't.  Another reason is that even though I've heard
that the tools do support them, I have my doubts as to how well they support
them.  If they simply treat them all as a section break, next page-which is
how Word labels the ones which specify a page break-then they'll end up with
the same  issue that we are having.  So far I've been playing it safe and
replacing them instead of jumping in there and seeing what will result if I
leave them in.

I've got this on my list of things to talk to Bookshare about since we've
recently learned that WordPad discards section breaks.

HTH

Gerald

  _____