[bksvol-discuss] Re: Carrie Books (Re: Just Submitted)

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:33:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jake,

  Whenever I submit a batch of books, I validate the hardest ones myself.  For
example, in that last batch of 13 books, I kept 3 back.  They were a guide to
the White House that had a picture or two on each page (I uploaded the book to
Gustavo this evening), a book on dog training that had pictures and double
columns, and a book on witchcraft with lots of symbols in it.  I put the easy
books on the download list, really I do.

  And I'm aware that some of my books linger on the download list.  I keep
track of them, and when a book has lingered for several months, I validate it
myself. In the past week or two, I've validated Goliath by David Harris, Flower
Net by Lisa See and The Fifth Angel by David Wiltse.  They all had been on the
download list for 4 months when I picked them up. I also validated 5 x-rated
books, since there are a lot of volunteers who have delicate sensibilities.

  In short, I do a lot of validating that no one knows about, other than
Gustavo.  So I suggest you do more investigating before you accuse me of not
validating enough.  And while we're at it, in the future, if you have any other
problems with my actions, please email me off-list.  I don't appreciate you
complaining about me in public.

  Carrie

Jake Brownell <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
              Hi Carrie,

  Great, but we could really use some help validating some of your submissions
that linger on the download list. Since you have the print books it might be
especially helpful if you could process some of the harder non fiction ones.
Unfortunately just running the book through the highspeed scanner doesn't
produce a book that is at the high end of excellent. While it's true that your
books don't have binding issues, it's still often times necessary to read
through the entire book if you really want a finished product that is truly
excellent quality.

  It's also unfortunate that so many of your submissions lately people don't
seem to be interested in. I have noted that your submissions are usually
grabbed right away if people are interested in the books, but otherwise they
are grabbed, released quickly, let expire, or are never downloaded.

  For instance currently there are 53 books submitted by you on the download
page, 46 of which have never been downloaded, that's about 87%, and 53/385
total books is about 14% of the download list. Me thinks we need to get some of
them processed before we make step 1 grow even more with bulk submissions.

  Below I've compiled a list of the books on step 1 done by Carrie so that you
can see if there are any that tickle your fancy.

  Thanks as always for all your volunteering Carrie!

  Jake

                Title  Author    Then Came Heaven  LaVyrle Spencer    Royal
Flash  George Macdonald Fraser    Flashman in the Great Game  George Macdonald
Fraser    Flashman at the Charge  George Macdonald Fraser    Black Sunday
Thomas Harris    Desperate Games  Pierre Boulle    Black William  Robert Neill
  Legs  William Kennedy    The Revolution of Hope: Toward a Humanized
Technology  Erich Fromm    Death Comes for the Archbishop  Willa Cather
Ashes to Ashes  Tami Hoag    Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes
William Bridges    Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change  William
Bridges    Maverick: The Success Story Behind the World's Most Unusual
Workplace  Richardo Semler    Post-Capitalist Society  Peter F. Drucker
Future Scope: Success Strategies for the 1990s and Beyond  Joe Cappo
Rejuvenating the Mature Business: The Competitive Challenge  John M. Stopford,
Charles Baden-Fuller    Negotiating Rationally  Margaret A. Neale, Max H.
Bazerman
 On Negotiating  Mark H. McCormack    Delivering Quality Service: Balancing
Customer Perceptions and Expectations  Leonard L. Berry, A. Parasuraman,
Valarie A. Zeithaml    Mission Critical: The 7 Strategic Traps That Derail Even
the Smartest Companies  Gregory G. Dess, Joseph C. Picken    World Class
Manufacturing: The Lessons of Simplicity Applied  Richard J. Schonberger
Rethinking the Corporation: The Architecture of Change  Robert M. Tomasko
The Lean Enterprise: Designing and Managing Strategic Processes for
Customer-Winning Performance  Nick Rich, Peter Hines, Dan Dimancescu    Lean
Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation  Daniel T. Jones,
James P. Womack    It's Not Luck  Eliyahu M. Goldratt    Competing for the
Future  C. K. Prahalad, Gary Hamel    Co-opetition  Barry J. Nalebuff, Adam M.
Brandenburger    Aiming Higher: 25 Stories of How Companies Prosper by
Combining Sound Management and Social Vision  David Bollier    Managing by
Values
 Michael O'Connor, Ken Blanchard    Parting with Illusions  Vladimir Pozner
Spring Moon  Bette Bao Lord    Steppenwolf & Siddhartha (Cliffs Notes)  Carolyn
Roberts Welch    The Dead Sea Cipher  Elizabeth Peters    The Curse of the
Pharaohs  Elizabeth Peters    The Copenhagen Connection  Elizabeth Peters
Silhouette in Scarlet  Elizabeth Peters    Naked Once More  Elizabeth Peters
Legend in Green Velvet  Elizabeth Peters    Die for Love  Elizabeth Peters
Nunquam  Lawrence Durrell    Prophecy  David Seltzer    Reader's Digest
Condensed Books, Volume 3 1995  The Editors Of The Reader's Digest    Reader's
Digest Condensed Books, Volume 5 1995  The Editors Of The Reader's Digest
The Watchmen  Ben Bova    Time to Come  August Derleth (editor)    Azazel
Isaac Asimov    A Kiss Before Dying  Ira Levin    The Complete Father Brown  G.
K. Chesterton    The Titan Game  Niven Busch    A Study of History  D. C.
Somervell (abridger), Arnold J. Toynbee    Dreams: Your Magic
 Mirror with Interpretations by Edgar Cayce  Elsie Sechrist    Answer to
History  Mohammad Reza Pahlavi

countries) for 2¢/min or less.