[bksvol-discuss] Re: CSUN

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:05:58 -0500

I try to be polite when refusing sighted assistance. I am almost always safer on my own with my guide dog guiding. Tired of being run into fire hydrants by people who then yell at me while I flinch because my knee has run into the fire plug and I am having difficulty walking the next few steps. They tend to yell after making a misstake like that or laugh. I have been told both are because they are embarrassed. But in the meantime I am physically hurt, sometimes quite badly.

So I try to be nice and refuse assistance when reasonably capable of doing the walking on my own with my guide dog. Far fewer injuries that way. I too have been walked into steel beams by people trying to help me out. It just plain hurts.