[bksvol-discuss] Broken Trust uploaded

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:43:44 -0700 (PDT)

Brian, since you're interested in Hawaiian history,
you should find this book interesting. I especially
enjoyed the early chapters about the later, i.e.,
19th-century, history of Hawai'i.

However, I did not enjoy the rest of the book. This is
the most frustrating and unpleasant book I think I've
ever read--blatant corruption and fleecing of a
educational trust and,  yet the trustees who did it
don't ever admit that they did anything wrong. Not
only were the Bishop Estate trustees corrupt, but
state Supreme Court justices and probate court judges
and legislators helped them and were duly rewarded. It
took years and years, and final and persistent action
on the part of Hawaiians, who apparently generally
prefer to be forgiving and non-activist, and some
brave individuals, and the IRS, to end it--but even
then true justice was not meted out to the trustees.
The trust ended up in virtually the same hands as
before, the same corruption going on at the judge,
lawyer and trustee levels. This book does not have a
happy ending and I literally was in tears at the end
at the injustice.