[bksvol-discuss] Re: British quotes

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:46:59 -0700 (PDT)

Just for clarification, and maybe it's being picky, but Rik is using the
correct terminology--single quotes are theoretically different from
apostrophes, though I admit that they look exactly alike, whether on the
keyboard or handwritten or typed on the old typewriters. I guess the
difference is function rather than form. smile

A fun book to read that is in the collection is Eat, Shoots & Leaves, by Lynn
Truss. It explains a lot of the differences in British and U.S. punctuation
usage and the importance of punctuation and the history in general.

Cindy