[bksvol-discuss] Re: British punctuation

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 21:24:52 -0500

Hi Sarah!

I have proofread a few books that have apostrophes or single quotes, (take your pick) instead of the quotes, which are also double quotes. What I have done, which has made less repetitive work is to change all of the apostrophes to double quotes. Then, of course, I have to make sure I change each possessive and contraction such as it's and I'm back to having the single quotes. Doing a replace all on each possessive or contraction cleans them up pretty quickly. I make sure the checkbox for the case is checked also.

I know I have to mess up to clean up that way, but it sure beats fussing with every quotation.

You were also asking why someone would want to arrow down instead of doing a read to end. I don't do it that often. Only when I want to read something very carefully or when reading my scanned poetry to make sure each line is where it should be to preserve formatting when I want to make sure everything is as it should be as I use the optacon to check the beginning letter of each line.

Debby

At 02:28 PM 5/10/2010, Sarah Van Oosterwijck wrote
I got a book from the library that I can't stand to proof read. I only scanned a little bit of it, then I started to read to see if it was turning out alright. It wasn't. It has apostrophes for quotes as is normal in most British literature. The problem with that is that there are sometimes spaces around the apostrophes. My synthesizer feels the need to read every single one of them, which I can't stand. I also can't imagine how much pain I'd be in if I tried to fix all of the spots where there is an improper space by hand. I haven't been able to come up with an acceptable search and replace method to fix it either. Does anyone have any ideas?

I was wondering if switching to a UK voice for eloquence would change it's behavior to not read the apostrophes that are not surrounded by spaces, but I don't seem to have it installed. Can anyone tell me if it would help. If so, I will find my Kurzweil CD and remedy the situation. That way I could at least see if there are few enough errors that I could fix them by hand without getting a repetitive stress injury.

It's also not ideal how this book will look in braille once converted, but I'm sure changing the punctuation is not acceptable, and who knows how a person could inform the translation program that these are supposed to be single quotes even though they are not within other quotation marks. I also know that converting them to single quotes doesn't help at all.

Any suggestions, or should I just give up? I don't even know if the book is interesting.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://curiousnetentity.com

mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>