[bksvol-discuss] Re: British punctuation

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 14:18:18 -0500

Hi Melissa and everyone!

I thought I had smart quotes turned off. Would someone please tell me how to do it in Word 2003 so I am sure they are turned off?

Thanks in advance.

Debby

At 01:11 PM 5/16/2010, Melissa Smith wrote
Debby, I'm sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if Window-Eyes is saying open quote, close quote, or open or close single quote, you have smart quotes, which should be replaced with straight quotes. At least that is my experience with Window-eyes 7.11 and 7.2, using Word 2002. I hear the open and close quote, until I replace smart quotes with straight quotes. My understanding is that the Braille translator doesn't know how to understand smart quotes.

Melissa Smith

On 5/16/2010 1:02 PM, Debby Franson wrote:
Hi Jill!

In Word, the British punctuation is announced by Window-Eyes as open single quote and apostrophe. Hmmm!

I also feel that books should not be tampered with by changing things, so I would have never done it if I knew there was such a thing as British quotation marks being single rather than our double quotes, thinking it was an OCR problem. When I find typos, I never change them, and I see why they shouldn't be changed. Technology, ya gotta love it, (smile).

Debby

At 06:02 PM 5/14/2010, Jill O'Connell wrote
I am proofreading one of these books at the moment and Kurzweil insists on
calling apostrophes in words "single quote." I have reading set to all punctuation but it is seldomsaying the quotes at the beginning and end of sentences; however, I know they are present as I have a braille display which is showing them. Since I take seriously that we are not to
make changes in the book, I leave these single quotes alone.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>