[bksvol-discuss] Re: British Books

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 23:32:36 -0800 (PST)

I do the same but I do what you suggested, Cindy, i.e., comment in the long
synopsis that the book has British spelling, vocabulary and punctuation. There
are other differences, too, besides the single instead of double quotations
mark for dialogue, e.g., they don't seem to put periods after titles of address
like Mr, Dr, etc.

For an amusing book about punctuation and the differences between English and
American, read Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to
Punctuation by Lynne Truss. It's in the collection

Cindy