[bksvol-discuss] Re: Braille.

  • From: "Lynn I" <lynnskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookkshare volunteer list" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:35:44 -0500

I've been a Braille reader all my life, and I know it's very difficult for
people who learn it later in life. But I wouldn't trade Braille for all the
technology in the world.

I keep all of my financial records in Braille, including a Braille check
register. If my technology goes down, I don't have to worry about how to access
the information.

I agree with Elizabeth, Kim, Amber, Donna, and others who have commented that
blind children who are not taught good Braille skills are being short-changed
in more ways than they know. I read, somewhere, that the employments statistics
are higher among individuals who are blind who have good Braille skills than
those who do not.

Blessings.

Lynnsky