[bksvol-discuss] Re: Boy am I discouraged.

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:32:49 -0700

Yes, indeed, OpenBook users have problems of their own. I used OB before getting K1000 and it crashed much more often, especially the voice.

However, I have had problems with K1000. Not crashing much: twice in the last year, once during Ranked Spelling. But I generally save an rtf version after scanning and download to my Pac Mate for reading and correcting. The last few files I have done that with - including one which I validated, so it was an rtf file when I got it - K1000 added pages to the end of the file. It duplicated the last few pages of the book the first time, another one it added the last 15 pages, and the last book I scanned, it repeated the last 25 pages of the book. I doubt that security software has anything to do with that. Also, another annoying problem is that it seems to misplace page breaks. It doesn't lose them, but I add a blank line before and after the page break; but after closing and reopening the file, I find that many pages have two blank lines before the page break and none after it.

It's still a great product, but I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't do stuff I don't want to be done, and that there are only the number of pages that are supposed to be there.

The problem is that the more stuff you add to a program, the more complicated it becomes, and the more chances for unpredictable things to happen. But you can't make money by saying, "This program has enough features, so we're just going to leave it as it is.". So you keep having to add on more and more stuff, whether people really need it or not; otherwise, you go out of business.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>